Sunday, October 23, 2011

Lambeth

Lambeth style cake
In 1934 Joseph Lambeth published a book called The Lambeth Method of Decorating Cakes.  The Lambeth method was popular in the UK for decades and it became popular in the US during the 1950's.  This time consuming and elaborate cake decorating style is now a lost art.  There are only a few professional shops in the US that even offer a true Lambeth cake. The Lambeth book has not been published since the '80's and is very rare.  A few copies can be found on the Internet but they sell for $500 - $700!  So, I gave it a try and only had pictures of cakes as a guide. 
The tools are very simple.  A pastry bag and a handful of tubes.  The method is not so simple!  I started by covering a cake in fondant.  I had to make sure the fondant was free of oils because oil breaks down royal icing.  Using a stick pin and a tape measure I divided the cake into 16 sections and marked it at several points.  I began by applying scrolls and borders with a small rope tube and then over piped them again with the same tube.  After the icing was set I went over them five more times.  Each time I used a slightly smaller tube.  I also added frills, strings and dots to further embellish the design.  Each element was over piped no less than three times.  Once all the icing had time to set I then painted the top layer with silver.  I used silver highlight mixed with vodka to create the paint. 
I thoroughly enjoyed creating this cake and I will do another.  I have so many ideas!  This style is very opulent and not for everyone but I love the way a Lambeth cake looks.  It is distinct, memorable and fit for royalty.   

close up of elaborate piping on Lambeth style cake
Close up of over piping and scroll work.  Most elements on this cake have been piped seven times over.  This creates the dimensional effect that is the mark of a Lambeth cake. By the time I got to the sixth layer my hands were shaking!

Top view of Lambeth style cake
Top view. 

Thank you for reading!

Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment